Summer Spootlight: English summer camps are underway and English classes to keep students busy and help them to deeply explore can be found here.
Description:This lesson plan is organised around the theme of General knowledge and interesting facts
General knowledge Quiz: Challenge to get started.
Activity 1: Ask learners to complete the following quiz individually.
WHAT TO YOU KNOW? (every correct answer is 10 points)
Tenses and auxiliary verbs:
Answers the questions in the quiz
- When did the modern Olympic Games start?
- How long does it take for the sun’s rays to reach the Earth?
- If you are flying over the international Date Line, which ocean is below you?
- Where were glasses invented?
- How many times Brazil won the World Cup?
- What doesn’t a vegetarian eat?
- What was John Lenon doing when he was assassinated?
- Which language is spoken by the most people in the world?
- Why didn’t Nelson Mandela become president of South Africa until he was 76 years old?
- How long have people been sending emails ?
The Atlantic Ocean
The Pacific Ocean
The Indian Ocean
performing on stage
recording an album
returning to his apartment
becuase he was in prison
because he was a lawyer
because he didn’t like politics
since the 1960s
since the 1970s
since the 1990s
Quiz answers: 1. 1, 2. 1, 3. 2, 4. 2, 5. 1, 6. 3, 7. 3, 8. 2, 9. 1, 10. 2.
Activity 2: Ask learners to correct the information in the sentences. Allow 5 minutes to students to complete the activity read them out loud, ask learners to notice the stress and intonation and practise in pairs saying the sentences.
Activity 3: Ask learners to work in groups and make a knowledge quiz. If you have enough time you can create a snakes and ladders on a A3 paper and play the game (Teenagers love snakes and ladders). Why don’t you give it a go?
Activity 4: Ask learners to complete the activity. Class discussion on the meaning of the social expressions.